Posted: 1:03 pm Wednesday, March 12th, 2014
By Hal Habib
Branden Albert didn’t waste any time in trying to help the Miami Dolphins turn the page on a disastrous 2013 season for the offensive line.
The newly signed left tackle was asked about the controversy during his introductory news conference Wednesday afternoon at the team’s training camp in Davie.
“I’m not worried about what happened last year,” Albert said. “I’m worried about the future of the Miami Dolphins. It starts today.”
csprtjs.src = ‘http://edgecdn.cinesport.com/container.js’;
var first_s = document.getElementsByTagName(‘script’); first_s.parentNode.insertBefore(csprtjs, first_s);
The ink was barely dry on the five-year, $46 million contract Albert signed as a free agent from Kansas City.
Albert, who has had an off-season training base in Miami the past three years, already was getting to know his new team via dinner with Dolphins coaches plus quarterback Ryan Tannehill and center Mike Pouncey on Tuesday night.
“Probably the happiest person at the table was Ryan Tannehill,” general manager Dennis Hickey said.
That’s understandable, considering Tannehill was sacked a club-record 58 times last season but now has a new bodyguard to protect his blind side.
Albert said Miami is the place he wanted to land because “it’s the team where I could help the most.”
No question, since the Dolphins could begin the 2014 season with an entirely new offensive line from last year. Tackle Jonathan Martin was traded to San Francisco on Tuesday night, guard Richie Incognito isn’t coming back and the others are all in limbo. Even Pouncey, who like Albert has “Pro Bowl” on his resume, may face NFL sanctions in his role in the bullying scandal last season.
Albert, 29, has no fears about possibly playing alongside a few young linemen.
“You being a good player, you help the guys along,” he said. “That’s part of the job.”