Posted: 9:15 am Monday, April 25th, 2011

Broward State Attorney’s Office: Movement on Brandon Marshall case could take awhile 

By Post Staff

Dolphins fans hoping for a quick resolution to the Brandon Marshall stabbing case should stop holding their breath, because this one might take awhile.

Spokesmen from both the Broward Sheriff’s Office and Broward State Attorney’s office said Monday morning that there are no new developments in the case against Marshall’s wife, Michi Nogami-Marshall, charged with a second-degree felony after allegedly stabbing Marshall on Friday evening.

Broward police are still investigating the situation, including what exactly happened that night, Marshall’s responsibility in the incident – Nogami-Marshall said on the arrest report that she stabbed Marshall in self-defense – and what, if any, consequences Marshall could face for allegedly lying to police in his sworn statement.

The BSO will eventually present the facts to the state attorney’s office, but it could take awhile.

“Domestic violences always take a long time,” said Ron Ishoy, spokesman for the state attorney in the 17th judicial circuit. “At some point, somebody will be assigned (to the case), but first it needs to go through our case filing, and the case filing has to make a decision as to whether or not the case will be filed. And that sometimes takes a long time.”

Prior to coming to Miami last year, Marshall had been involved in seven domestic violence incidents in three states plus Puerto Rico. One of the incidents involved Nogami-Marshall in Atlanta in 2009. But the charges were lowered or dismissed in every case, and the same could happen this time.

“The police conduct an investigation and bring it to us, so once they bring it to us, we’ll look at all the information,” Ishoy said. “Our domestic violence unit said there’s nothing to update at this point.”

Nogami-Marshall, who turns 27 on May 5, does not have any prior arrests, according to a background check.

Also, a source told the Post over the weekend that Marshall refused an ambulance and instead went by car to Broward General Medical Center, which is about 22 miles away from his Southwest Ranches home. The news is also reported by the Miami Herald.

It is unclear as of now why Marshall chose that hospital instead of one closer to his home, but it helps corroborate the word from Marshall’s agent that the stab wound was not serious, and he should be able to recover in a matter of a few weeks.

The one bit of good news about the potentially slow timetable is that the NFL lockout may end in the meantime, allowing Marshall to return to the Dolphins’ facility to rehab his injury under the watch of team doctors. Judge Susan Nelson is supposed to rule on the lockout injunction today in Minnesota and very well may lift the lockout, though the owners will likely appeal, holding it up for at least a few more weeks. As of right now, only the Dolphins’ team doctor is allowed to have contact with Marshall.

To hear a full breakdown of the incident, listen to my appearance this morning with Joe Rose on WQAM-560 AM.

Trackbacks

  1. makeup case says:

    makeup case…

    [...]Broward State Attorney’s Office: Movement on Brandon Marshall case could take awhile | The Daily Dolphin[...]…