Posted: 12:35 pm Friday, January 18th, 2013
By Post Staff
Updated by Jeff Greer and Matt Porter
Well, signing day 2013 has come and gone, but recruiting never sleeps. Even on national signing day, college coaches started calling 2014 prospects and starting inroads with those recruits. We’ll follow their process for the next year, and we’ll report every interaction we hear about right here on this diary.
Here, we’ll give you just the info, no filler.
MONDAY, Feb. 11, 2013
We’re baaaack. It’s time to gear up for the Class of 2014′s turn through the recruiting cycle, though we’ll continue updating you on the remaining unsigned 2013 grads here in Palm Beach County and up north on the Treasure Coast.
– Alabama announced the departure of offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland, the Tide’s main recruiter of 2014 Palm Beach Central OL Kc McDermott. Stoutland will coach the line for the Philadelphia Eagles. McDermott’s father, Randy, said the move shouldn’t impact Bama’s standing with his son. “The one thing we have learned over the years is that you cannot pick a school for the coaches — they leave, move, get fired, etc.,” McDermott said.
– Florida reached out to 2014 Cardinal Newman WR Travis Rudolph. Joker Phillips is Rudolph’s chief recruiter for the Gators, who are trying to flip Rudolph’s Miami verbal commitment.
– South Carolina verbally offered 2014 Pahokee ATH Rashaun Croney.
– Miami started in earnest its recruitment of several 2014 prospects: Cardinal Newman WR Travis Rudolph, Santaluces WR Darrell Langham, Central OL Kc McDermott and Village WR Tre’Quan Smith.
– McDermott received an invitation to the 2014 U.S. Army All-American Bowl. He’s already committed to play in the Under Armour game.
– FSU offered McDermott on national signing day.
– NC State chatted with Dwyer’s 2014 studs WR Johnnie Dixon, WR Ezra Saffold, WR Clint Stephens and DB Shawn Boone.
– Boise State, which signed Dwyer CB Jonathan Moxey on NSD 2013, reached out to 2014 DB Shawn Boone. As did Arkansas, which also checked in with Village WR Tre’Quan Smith.
– Wake Forest contacted 2014 WR Darrell Langham of Santaluces.
– Illinois told 2014 Park Vista S Marques Gayot he’s on the top of their Big Board. The Illini also chatted with Park Vista ATH Renard Cheren.
– UCF, Virginia Tech, Marshall, UMass, West Virginia, USF, BYU, UCLA and Nebraska all started making the rounds in the area.
– Navy received a commitment from Olympic Heights OL Matt Montgomery.
– Benedictine will conduct an in-home visit with 2013 Palm Beach Central K/P Cameron Golob.
TUESDAY, February 5, 2013
Less than 24 hours until signing day. Here’s a list of the major announcements coming tomorrow:
8 a.m. — Centennial (Jay-nard Bostwick)
9 a.m. — American Heritage (Greg Bryant, Marcus Davis, Roderick Johnson)
12 p.m. — Dwyer (Malik Brown)
1 p.m. — Atlantic (Keith Bryant, Brisly Estime, Todney Evans)
1:15 p.m. — Port St. Lucie (D.J. Juste)
3 p.m. — Seminole Ridge (Kyle Shortridge, Omar Pierre-Louis, Jason Shepherd, Rayfield Dixon, Silas Spearman)
Time to go on-record. We made our predictions, including the landing spots for Keith Bryant, Jay-nard Bostick and Malik Brown, in this here blog post.
– Our profile on American Heritage running back Greg Bryant, who will sign with Notre Dame, who is trying to stay low-profile during an intense recruiting process.
– UMass expressed more late interest in Palm Beach Gardens WR Frank Brown. Brown plans to stick with his Bethune-Cookman commitment.
– American Heritage RB Chad Veccharella, who has committed to St. Joseph’s (Ind.), says he got a preferred walk-on at FAU.
– King’s Academy OL Tyler Chiason will sign with Middlebury.
MONDAY, February 4, 2013
Good morning! Signing day’s just two days away. Are you ready? Scroll through our diary to catch up on everything recruiting in Palm Beach County and the Treasure Coast.
– Tennessee made a “great” impression on Dwyer DE Malik Brown, who visited the Vols’ Knoxville campus this weekend for his final official visit of the recruiting cycle. Brown, who verbally committed to Syracuse, returned home a bit confused and said he faced a serious few days of decision-making. He’ll have Tennessee, USF and Syracuse hats on the table for signing day and plans to have a final decision by Wednesday.
– Middle Tennessee State and Western Michigan are the final two options for Atlantic DE Todney Evans. He said he’ll sign with one of them on Wednesday. He’d hoped for more offers in the final weeks of January.
– Sacred Heart hosted Pope John Paul II WR Brock Turner for a visit this weekend and expects Turner to sign on Wednesday. Turner said he verbally committed to Sacred Heart.
– Boca Athletic Director Amanda Angermeier said OL Charles Strippoli plans to sign with Johns Hopkins.
– Bryant expects Pope John Paul II ATH Bobby Lentz to sign on Wednesday.
– Fordham received a commitment from Pope John Paul II K Michael Cioci.
– Southeastern University in Lakeland plans to sign five Glades Day players: OLs Eli Johnson, Cody McGahee, Corey Helvey, TE Nathan Lee and FB Jose Penton. Southeastern will begin NAIA play in 2014.
– Glades Day WR/DE Calvin Darville, who had a Wagner offer, intends to walk on at South Florida, Florida Atlantic or Florida A&M.
– Glades Day LB Colton McKillican will sign with Adams State in Colorado.
– Dwyer LB Hayden Harrow committed to Chicago.
– Hobart hosts Boca Raton Christian QB A.J. Puente this weekend.
– Wheaton (Ill.) received a commitment from Boca Raton ATH Caleb Hood.
– Atlantic OL Charles “Bubba” Sprenkel may walk on at UCF. Has a JUCO offer.
SUNDAY, February 3, 2013
– Purdue secured a verbal commitment from ex-Boca Raton RB Keith Byars II, who spent the 2012-13 school year at Milford Academy in New York. Full story here.
– Royal Palm Beach DB De’Andre Simmons committed to Western Kentucky this weekend during his official visit to the Hilltoppers’ campus. Read more here.
– Coastal Carolina hosted King’s Academy DB Marcus Houston on a visit this weekend.
– North Carolina A&T added a verbal pledge from Boca ATH Tard McCoy.
– Union College had Palm Beach Gardens RB Jermaine Carn and American Heritage OL Milton Michel on campus for visits this weekend.
– Walsh University got a verbal commitment from Pope John Paul II RB Jarious Smith.
– Marshall added Royal Palm Beach K Tyler Bugeja as a preferred walk-on.
– Park Vista LB Chris Ori committed to Mississippi College.
SATURDAY, February 2, 2013
– Syracuse brought Atlantic DB Brisly Estime up on an official visit, offered him a scholarship, and Estime accepted. Here’s the story.
– In Recruiting Never Stops Being Crazy news, FAU apparently had enough of Atlantic DT Keith Bryant, sending the four-star recruit home because he wasn’t taking his official visit seriously. Losing out on the deal: Bryant’s teammate, DE Todney Evans, who still hopes to receive an FAU offer. Read more here.
FRIDAY, February 1, 2013
– Tennessee is hosting Dwyer DE Malik Brown on an official visit. Brown has committed to Syracuse, but several schools have tried to change his mind in recent days. He said Wednesday his three signing day choices will be the Orange, South Florida and “whoever gets this last visit” — Tennessee or North Carolina State.
– Could Syracuse be a late option for Brisly Estime? The Atlantic DB is visiting the Orange this weekend. New offensive coordinator George McDonald, who left Miami for Arkansas in December, then the Hogs for Syracuse in January, remained in contact with Estime during that time.
– FIU secured a verbal commitment from Seminole Ridge RB Silas Spearman as he began his weekend visit to the Miami school. Spearman spent much of January thinking he’d play at Boston College or USF, but both schools backed off as they waited for players ahead of Spearman to make their college decisions. Here’s the full story.
– NC State, no longer in the picture for Brown, started to talk to Atlantic DE Todney Evans. Evans will visit Florida Atlantic this weekend with four-star Atlantic DT Keith Bryant and American Heritage K Greg Joseph. Bryant, who has said he’s most interested in Miami, Florida State and South Carolina, would not seem to be interested in FAU. Or is he? “We’ll find out soon enough,” a source said. “He says all the right things.”
– As previously reported, NC State is hosting Treasure Coast alum and West Virginia transfer Travares Copeland this weekend. FAU and USF also appear to be possible landing spots for Copeland, a high school quarterback who played receiver as a freshman at WVU.
– Arkansas is no longer recruiting American Heritage ATH Marcus Davis, who has informed them his commitment to Auburn is solid. Davis will play WR for the Tigers.
– Miami coach Al Golden, in Palm Beach County today, stopped at Santaluces to see 2014 WR Darrell Langham. Golden also plans to visit Atlantic DT Keith Bryant and 2014 prospects Kc McDermott (OT, Palm Beach Central), Travis Rudolph (WR, Cardinal Newman) and Dwyer’s Shawn Boone, Johnnie Dixon, Ezra Saffold and Clint Stephens.
– Western Kentucky will have Royal Palm Beach DB De’Andre Simmons on campus this weekend for an official visit.
– FAMU received commitments from Royal Palm Beach WR JoJo Williams, who previously committed to Grambling, and OL Craig Smith.
– Alcorn State is hosting Olympic Heights DB Deago Sama on a visit this weekend. Alabama A&M offered him during a visit last weekend.
– Weber State is hosting Fort Pierce Central DT Jerandious Works on a visit this weekend.
– Royal Palm Beach LB Jake Wehrle is visiting Bethany College, a D-III school in West Virginia.
THURSDAY, January 31, 2013
– Notre Dame offensive coordinator Chuck Martin and running backs coach Tony Alford met with American Heritage RB Greg Bryant on Thursday evening. Bryant remains a strong Notre Dame commitment despite hard and continuous pushes by Florida State, Auburn and South Carolina.
– South Carolina visited Atlantic DT Keith Bryant at school today.
– Syracuse visited Dwyer DE Malik Brown and his family today. Brown is committed to the Orange, but announced Thursday evening he’d visit Tennessee this weekend for his final official visit. The Volunteers made a strong, late push for Brown, beating out North Carolina State for Brown’s last visit, and they have Brown’s former teammate Curt Maggitt on their roster.
– North Carolina State will host ex-Treasure Coast quarterback and West Virginia transfer Travares Copeland on an official visit this weekend. Copeland played receiver at WVU.
– FAU head coach Carl Pelini and three of his assistants visited Atlantic today. Atlantic DT Keith Bryant and DE Todney Evans have official visits to FAU planned for this weekend. FAU also visited Port St. Lucie QB DJ Juste at school on Thursday.
– Union College in Albany, N.Y., is hosting Palm Beach Gardens OL Baguidy Elien for a visit this weekend.
WEDNESDAY, January 30, 2013
– If you’ve been reading this post regularly, you may have the sense that 2014 could be a particularly good year for Palm Beach County recruiting. Here’s a story breaking it all down.
– Ohio State is not considered a top-five contender for Palm Beach Central 2014 OT Kc McDermott, a source said Wednesday. OSU head coach Urban Meyer came by Central to chat with McDermott (6-6, 290) and asked if he was even considering the Buckeyes. McDermott said no. Miami, Florida and Notre Dame are definitely in McDermott’s top five, the source added, but the other two spots are harder to decipher. McDermott’s dad, Randy, has pointed out on several occasions the family’s connections to Alabama and Michigan, though Michigan State and North Carolina have heavily pursued McDermott as well.
– Miami head coach Al Golden plans to be in town on Friday for a slew of visits. He’ll visit 2013 Atlantic DT Keith Bryant, plus 2014 prospects Kc McDermott (OT, Palm Beach Central), Travis Rudolph (WR, Cardinal Newman) and Dwyer’s Shawn Boone, Johnnie Dixon, Ezra Saffold and Clint Stephens.
– Three 2014 WRs at Dwyer – Johnnie Dixon, Ezra Saffold and Clint Stephens — along with SS Shawn Boone received visits from Alabama (Nick Saban), Ohio State (Urban Meyer) and USF (Willie Taggart) on Monday. Western Kentucky and UCF visited on Tuesday.
– North Carolina State withdrew its scholarship offer to Atlantic ATH Brisly Estime, who is now uncertain if he’ll sign anywhere next week. The Wolfpack plan to visit Dwyer DE Malik Brown, a Syracuse commit, on Wednesday, and already chatted with Atlantic DE Todney Evans. Four NC State coaches visited Brown at home; they are trying to land an official visit from Brown this weekend. Tennessee is the other contender to get Brown on campus this weekend.
– Arkansas is no longer interested in Atlantic DB Brisly Estime. Syracuse remains a possibility, but the level of ‘Cuse’s interest is unknown.
– Arkansas stopped by the home of Suncoast DT Ke’Tyrus Marks, who recently gave his commitment to the Hogs.
– Syracuse and Tennessee will visit Dwyer DE Malik Brown on Thursday. Brown, who has taken official visits USF, Syracuse and Minnesota, said he’s still committed to Syracuse and feels comfortable there. But he added the Orange, NC State, Tennessee and USF have given him a lot to think about.
– Illinois told Atlantic DE Todney Evans to expect a visit on Wednesday. The Illini have three defensive ends already committed, including Miami-Norland’s Paul James, who pledged today, so it’s unclear if they’ll offer Evans.
– Florida, Illinois, Purdue and USF all checked in on Cardinal Newman 2014 WR Travis Rudolph in recent days. Rudolph is a soft verbal commit to Miami.
– North Carolina State, South Florida and Florida Atlantic appear to be possible landing spots for ex-Treasure Coast WR Travares Copeland, who left West Virginia midway through last season.
– UCLA, BYU, UMass and Nebraska verbally offered scholarships to 2014 Village Academy WR Tre’Quan Smith, who, along with 2014 DL Kevin Bronson, has recently attracted visits from Virginia Tech, UCF, UMass, Marshall, Arkansas, West Virginia, Miami and USF.
– Middle Tennessee State will stop by Atlantic to see DE Todney Evans.
– Western Kentucky met with 2014 Jupiter LB Griffin Garland.
– UCF saw 2014 Jupiter P/K Justin Chorniewy.
– Illinois State visited Jupiter’s 2014 WR/DB Jerome Davis.
– Webber International is high on Jupiter WR/DB Josh Brooks.
– St. Joseph’s (Ind.) picked up verbal commitments from American Heritage RB Chad Veccharella and DB Colon Wright. Read more about that here.
– Sacred Heart is hosting Pope John Paul II WR Brock Turner on a visit today.
– Miami and Vanderbilt offered a preferred walk-on spot to American Heritage TE Isaac Leon.
– Fordham extended an aid package offer to Pope John Paul II K Mike Cioci.
– Campbell accepted a commitment from Royal Palm Beach K Tyler Bugeja.
TUESDAY, January 29, 2013
– Alabama head coach Nick Saban and offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland visited Palm Beach Central 2014 OL Kc McDermott this morning and offered him a scholarship. The McDermott family visited Alabama last fall. McDermott’s father, Randy, said it “was very impressive.”
– Michigan State head coach Matt Dantonio and offensive line coach Mark Staten also visited Palm Beach Central for OL Kc McDermott.
– Atlantic DT Keith Bryant expects Miami coach Al Golden to visit on Friday. Golden also plans to stop by Palm Beach Central to chat with junior OL Kc McDermott.
– North Carolina State mentioned the possibility of a package deal with Atlantic ATH Brisly Estime and DT Keith Bryant.
– FIU offered Seminole Ridge RB Silas Spearman a scholarship and will host him for an official visit this weekend. After weeks of attention from Boston College and USF, Spearman finally received his first FBS offer, and is expected to sign with FIU.
– Western Michigan sent five coaches to Atlantic High to meet with ATH Brisly Estime and DE Todney Evans.
– FAU is doing its homework on 2014 prospects. The Owls stopped by Park Vista to see S Marques Gayot, ATH Qwad Martin and DB Renard Cheren. They went to Glades Day, Glades Central, Clewiston and Pahokee.
– Bethune-Cookman received a commitment from Olympic Heights OLB Werley Placide over the weekend. Read more about that here.
– Western Kentucky and Marshall visited Glades Central this week.
MONDAY, January 28, 2013
– Arkansas will no longer host Atlantic ATH Brisly Estime for a visit this coming weekend. Estime visited North Carolina State this past weekend, and came home with a scholarship offer. NC State is now the heavy favorite to land Estime. Arkansas also reportedly began sniffing around Seminole Ridge RB Silas Spearman.
– FAU will host Atlantic DT Keith Bryant and DE Todney Evans on the final visiting weekend before national signing day. Evans just returned from a visit to Middle Tennessee, and Bryant traveled to South Carolina.
– South Carolina, Florida State and Miami are the three finalists for Atlantic DT Keith Bryant. Bryant said Sunday he and one other person know his school choice, but he won’t reveal it until signing day, when he’ll announce his decision on ESPN.
– USF is expected to back off Seminole Ridge RB Silas Spearman after securing a verbal pledge from Kissimmee Osceola RB Stafon McCray. Boston College is reportedly waiting for a decision from Gainesville RB Raphael Webb before offering Spearman a scholarship.
– FIU has expressed interest in hosting Seminole Ridge RB Silas Spearman for a visit this weekend.
– Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer is in town on Monday to visit 2014 Palm Beach Central OL Kc McDermott.
– Florida State was interested in visiting Glades Central’s 2014 standouts, including WR Ronquavion Tarver, but did not after learning Tarver would not be in school.
– Marshall and Western Kentucky looked at Glades Central 2014 WR Jerry Jones (a recent transfer from John I. Leonard), CB Bernard Willingham and OL/DL Jacoby Blackmon.
– UCF visited Jupiter Christian today to check in on some underclassmen before visiting 2014 Palm Beach Central RB Tommy McDonald and Royal Palm Beach 2014 ATH Jimmy Moreland.
– Bethune-Cookman snapped up two of the area’s top seniors in Village Academy QB Larry Brihm and Palm Beach Gardens WR Frank Brown. Read more about their commitments here.
– Robert Morris locked in Village Academy ATH Erich Maine on Sunday after Maine’s official visit to the Pittsburgh-area school’s campus. Here’s the full report.
– Grinnell College, a Division III program in Iowa, picked up a commitment from Pope John Paul II OL Riley Drexler.
– Mercer picked up a commitment from Fort Pierce Central OL Garrett Smith.
– Jackson State got a verbal pledge from Fort Pierce Central LB Stacy Noble.
SUNDAY, January 27, 2013
– American Heritage ATH Marcus Davis committed to Auburn. Here’s the report.
– Suncoast DT Ke’Tyrus Marks committed to Arkansas. Here’s the full rundown of Marks’s recruitment.
– Palm Beach Gardens OL James Cruise committed to FIU. Read more about that here.
– North Carolina State offered Atlantic DB Brisly Estime while he was on an official visit this weekend. Estime said he did not commit to the Wolfpack, but will not visit any other schools.
– Tennessee head coach Butch Jones and three assistants visited Dwyer DE Malik Brown, who is committed to Syracuse. NC State has been strong on Brown as well.
– Louisville had an in-home visit with Seminole Ridge DT Kyle Shortridge.
– Last night, Atlantic RB Tevin Spells committed to Tennessee State.
– FAMU welcomed Boca Raton DB Tard McCoy on an official visit this weekend. The Rattlers have yet to offer.
FRIDAY, January 25, 2013
– Florida WR coach Joker Phillips was at Santaluces to see 2014 WR Darrell Langham. Miami and South Carolina have been checking up on Langham weekly. He has offers from all three schools and Toledo. Phillips also visited 2014 Cardinal Newman WR Travis Rudolph.
– Arkansas will host Suncoast DT Ke’Tyrus Marks on an official visit. Marks is believed to be very close to committing to the Razorbacks.
– Auburn will have American Heritage ATH Marcus Davis on campus this weekend for an official visit. He’ll visit Arkansas next weekend.
– Florida has American Heritage OL and Gators commit Roderick Johnson on campus for his official visit.
– North Carolina State scheduled Atlantic ATH Brisly Estime to visit its campus this weekend.
– South Carolina hosts Atlantic DT Keith Bryant on an official visit.
– Hawaii was at Santaluces to see committed RB Diocemy Saint Juste.
– Middle Tennessee State has Atlantic DE Todney Evans scheduled this weekend for a visit.
– Bethune-Cookman gets Palm Beach Gardens WR Frank Brown and Village Academy QB Larry Brihm on campus this weekend.
– Robert Morris will have Village Academy ATH Erich Maine visit this weekend.
– Southeast Missouri State hosts American Heritage kicker Greg Joseph, who has committed to the school.
– Bryant has Pope John Paul II ATH Bobby Lentz on campus this weekend. Lentz is a verbal commit to Bryant.
– Tennessee State gets Atlantic RB Tevin Spells on campus this weekend.
– Saint Joseph’s of Indiana welcomes American Heritage LB Chad Veccharella and DB Colon Wright this weekend. Both have offers.
– Pace (N.Y.) scheduled Glades Central ATH Antwan Washington for a weekend visit.
– Wagner will host Glades Day WR/DE Calvin Darville this weekend.
– Colorado State-Pueblo picked up a commitment from Santaluces TE Ricco Jean Louis, becoming yet another Chiefs player headed to CSU-Pueblo.
– Next weekend, Santaluces QB Sean Steele and LB Rod Theodore will visit Glenville State (W. Va.).
THURSDAY, January 24, 2013
– Alabama assistant coach Bobby Williams stopped by Park Vista to chat with 2014 DB Marques Gayot. Head coach Nick Saban will stop by Palm Beach Central next week to meet with 2014 OL Kc McDermott.
– Miami hired Florida State offensive coordinator James Coley today, the Miami Herald reported. The move comes two weeks before national signing day and will have a major impact on recruiting. Also, Hurricanes assistant Mario Cristobal visited Atlantic DT Keith Bryant and ATH Brisly Estime and Suncoast DT Ke’Tyrus Marks.
– Florida head coach Will Muschamp is still in the area. He visited Centennial DL Jay-nard Bostwick at school today and will have another visit tonight at Bostwick’s house. Bostwick plans to visit Gainesville next weekend, and is still deciding between Alabama, Florida and Miami.
– Dwyer head coach Jack Daniels said 2014 WR Johnnie Dixon is highest on Alabama, Florida and Miami.
– South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier paid an in-school visit to Atlantic DT Keith Bryant this afternoon. Bryant plans to visit South Carolina’s campus this weekend.
– Florida State assistant Odell Haggins visited Atlantic today to chat with DT Keith Bryant and ATH Brisly Estime.
– On Monday, North Carolina is expected at Palm Beach Central to see 2014 OL Kc McDermott and 2014 RB Tommy McDonald.
– On Monday, Ohio State coach Urban Meyer will visit Dwyer to check in on 2014 WR Johnnie Dixon. Expect him to see Palm Beach Central 2014 OL Kc McDermott as well.
– Michigan DL coach Jerry Montgomery will visit Palm Beach Central’s junior OL Kc McDermott today. McDermott visited with Notre Dame, Florida and Miami yesterday.
– North Carolina State continued its hard charge for Atlantic ATH Brisly Estime, calling him this morning. The Wolfpack visited Estime yesterday and is hoping Estime visits the Raleigh, N.C., campus this weekend as scheduled.
– Dwyer DE Malik Brown is choosing between NC State and West Virginia for his final official visit. Brown is a Syracuse commit.
– Wake Forest recruiting coordinator Ray McCartney is making a late push for Suncoast DT Ke’Tyrus Marks. McCartney offered Marks a scholarship during an in-home visit Wednesday night and will visit Marks again at school today. McCartney is supposed to visit with American Heritage ATH Marcus Davis this week.
– Syracuse may be closest to getting elusive Atlantic ATH Brisly Estime. New Cuse OC George McDonald, who recruited Estime for Arkansas before taking the Syracuse job two weeks ago, has made a significant impact on Estime, who tweeted late last night that it “looks like” he’ll join Dwyer DE Malik Brown at Syracuse next fall.
– Illinois State assistant Dan Shula visited Park Vista to inquire about the Cobras’ 2014 prospects.
– Jacksonville will host Dwyer LB Anthony Williams the weekend of Friday, Feb. 1.
– Bethune-Cookman plans to host Village Academy QB Larry Brihm and Palm Beach Gardens WR Frank Brown this weekend.
- Robert Morris will have Village Academy ATH Erich Maine on campus this weekend.
– Wagner came by to visit Seminole Ridge OL Antonyo Woods, DB Mike Almonte and RB Elie Turene this week.
– Marist will host Seminole Ridge OL Antonyo Woods for a visit on Feb. 1.
– Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College received a verbal commitment from Cardinal Newman ATH Devonte Brown. Read about that here.
– Ave Maria picked up a verbal pledge from John I. Leonard S Andres Figueroa.
– Atlantic RB Marcus Gaskin said he will not sign on national signing day.
– Atlantic RB Tevin Spells predicted where his teammates will commit: DT Keith Bryant to FSU, DB Brisly Estime to NC State and DE Todney Evans to Middle Tennessee State.
WEDNESDAY, January 23, 2013
– Auburn started its late push for American Heritage ATH Marcus Davis, offering a scholarship and setting up an official visit for the senior this weekend.
– Alabama head coach Nick Saban is up in St. Lucie County today to chat with Centennial DT Jay-nard Bostwick.
– Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly will actually visit 2014 Palm Beach Central OL Kc McDermott today, not yesterday. Kelly also plans to check in on Irish commit and American Heritage RB Greg Bryant.
– Florida head coach Will Muschamp and offensive line coach Tim Davis met with 2014 Palm Beach Central OL Kc McDermott and American Heritage OL Roderick Johnson, a UF commit. Muschamp also met with Dwyer 2014 WR Johnnie Dixon.
– Miami assistant coach Brennan Carroll also stopped by Palm Beach Central to chat with 2014 OL Kc McDermott and RB Tommy McDonald.
– Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema and DL coach Charlie Partridge will chat with Suncoast DT Ke’Tyrus Marks, who has a Jan. 25 visit and an offer, this morning. The duo is also expected to meet with 2014 Palm Beach Central OL Kc McDermott. DBs coach Taver Johnson will meet at school and in-home with American Heritage ATH Marcus Davis. Arkansas also visited Atlantic ATH Brisly Estime, who will visit the school’s campus on Feb. 1, and 2014 Dwyer WR Johnnie Dixon.
– Tennessee was one of several programs to meet with Dwyer DE Malik Brown. South Florida, NC State, Syracuse and West Virginia also stopped by.
– Boston College head coach Steve Addazio planned to meet with Seminole Ridge RB Silas Spearman but delayed his visit. Addazio and his staff are waiting to offer a scholarship to Spearman until given clearance from their admissions office.
– Wake Forest assistant coach Ray McCartney had an in-home visit with Suncoast DT Ke’Tyrus Marks and offered him a scholarship.
– NC State visited Atlantic ATH Brisly Estime and Dwyer DE Malik Brown.
– South Carolina checked in on Fort Pierce Central juniors Sharieff Rhaheed and Rashawn Shaw.
– Western Kentucky visited Fort Pierce Central to inquire about the Cobras’ uncommitted seniors.
– Western Michigan head coach PJ Fleck was in the area yesterday. He stopped by Atlantic.
– Middle Tennessee will host Atlantic DE Todney Evans on an official visit this weekend.
– FAU is pushing for Seminole Ridge OL Antonyo Woods to be a preferred walk-on for the Owls. Woods, who would be a Florida Bright Futures scholarship carrier, wouldn’t require an athletic scholarship from FAU.
– Bethune-Cookman visited Palm Beach Gardens today to chat with WR Frank Brown and OL James Cruise. Brown will host Bethune tonight for a home visit and will take an official visit to the BCU campus this weekend.
– FIU and Stony Brook visited Palm Beach Gardens today to chat with WR Frank Brown and OL James Cruise. FIU also stopped by Suncoast to chat with DT Ke’Tyrus Marks. Brown plans to visit FIU in early February.
– UMass visited Suncoast DT Ke’Tyrus Marks at school.
– Jacksonville and Stetson will visit Fort Pierce Central this afternoon.
– Popular area recruiters UConn hired former Cincinnati recruiting coordinator T.J. Weist as its new offensive coordinator.
– Pace University will host Glades Central ATH Antwan Washington this weekend.
– St. Anselm College in New Hampshire offered Forest Hill’s Kerolin Francois and Josh Garrett.
TUESDAY, January 22, 2013
– Boise State received a verbal commitment from Dwyer CB Jonathan Moxey last week before he officially visited the Idaho university’s campus. Here’s the full report.
– Purdue got a verbal pledge from U.S. Army All-American and Cardinal Newman TE Matt Burke late Tuesday night. Here’s the full story.
– Florida coach Will Muschamp plans to visit Palm Beach Central on Wednesday to check in on 2014 OL Kc McDermott.
– Alabama head coach Nick Saban will visit Centennial DT Jay-nard Bostwick on Wednesday.
– Update from yesterday: Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly will visit 2014 Palm Beach Central OL Kc McDermott today.
– Alabama and LSU are battling for Atlantic DT Keith Bryant’s last official visit on Feb. 1. Alabama is “talking good right now,” so he’ll pick between “them or LSU” for that last trip. LSU has offered a scholarship, though, and Alabama has not. Raymond James is the lead LSU recruiter, and Bobby Williams is doing most of the work for Alabama. He already visited Miami and Florida State.
– South Carolina will host Atlantic DT Keith Bryant on an official visit this coming weekend. Bryant said he no longer intends to visit Tennessee the first weekend of February.
– Louisville coaches will pay Seminole Ridge DT Kyle Shortridge an in-home visit this week. Shortridge has already pledged to the Cardinals.
– Michigan State OL coach Mark Staten visited Palm Beach Central today to talk to 2014 OL Kc McDermott and RB Tommy McDonald.
– USF coaches Larry Scott and Nick Sheridan paid an in-school visit to Seminole Ridge RB Silas Spearman.
– Temple is the only FBS program chasing Glades Central ATH David Bailey, though Jacksonville, Alcorn State and Jackson State have all expressed interest in the 5-9, 160-pound senior.
– North Carolina State and Tennessee are expected to visit Dwyer today. Both schools are interested in DE Malik Brown, who’s committed to Syracuse, but the schools are also starting their processes with Dwyer’s talented junior class.
– Boise State hosted Dwyer CB Jonathan Moxey on an official visit this past weekend and, according to a fellow Class of 2013 prospect, Moxey reportedly committed to the Broncos. We’re working to confirm.
– FAU lost Mikey Bullard, an ex-Forest Hill receiver and a 2012 FAU signee, to Arizona Western. Bullard originally intended to enroll at FAU for the spring 2013 semester. FAU also dropped in on Seminole Ridge RB Silas Spearman and Palm Beach Central RB Lloyd Howard, who’s still trying to qualify with the NCAA.
– New Mexico State coach DeWayne Walker is considering an NFL assistant job. NMSU currently has Gardens alum Mark Brown and Westwood grad Inuka Rhaheed on its roster.
– Bethune-Cookman expects Palm Beach Gardens WR Frank Brown to visit this coming weekend.
MONDAY, January 21, 2013
– On Saturday, the NCAA voted to loosen recruiting regulations for the Class of 2014 and beyond. Beginning Aug. 1, college coaches may have unlimited contact – texts, calls, emails, social messages, carrier pigeons, anything – with recruits. Additionally, schools may send out an unlimited number of coaches to recruits at the same time. We’ll have more on this change in the coming days.
– Miami is a “strong bond” for the family of 2014 Palm Beach Central OL Kc McDermott, his dad Randy said Monday. McDermott’s older brother Shane is the starting center for the Hurricanes. Other schools are in the running for McDermott, including Michigan, Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Florida and others.
The Hurricanes also hosted Atlantic DT Keith Bryant and Centennial DT Jay-nard Bostwick on official visits over the weekend. Bryant said he was “glad he visited,” and is picking between LSU and Tennessee for his final visit. Bostwick’s family reportedly loved the visit, though the recruit himself hasn’t said anything publicly about it.
– Over the weekend, Miami offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch left Coral Gables for the same position with the Jacksonville Jaguars. The school has not named a replacement.
– Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly will pay an in-home visit to American Heritage RB Greg Bryant on Wednesday. Bryant verbally committed to Notre Dame. Kelly plans to visit 2014 Palm Beach Central OL Kc McDermott on Tuesday.
– Florida head coach Will Muschamp plans to visit American Heritage OL Roderick Johnson on Wednesday. Johnson committed to Florida again after de-committing from the Gators in the fall. Muschamp will also reach out to Palm Beach Central junior offensive tackle Kc McDermott on Tuesday.
– — Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema and defensive line coach Charlie Partridge will hold an in-home visit with Suncoast DT Ke’Tyrus Marks. Marks is scheduled to visit Fayetteville, Ark., this weekend. Defensive backs coach Taver Johnson will visit American Heritage ATH Marcus Davis at school and then at home on either Tuesday or Wednesday before Davis makes his official visit to Arkansas on Feb. 1. Atlantic DB Brisly Estime plans to visit Arkansas the first weekend of February.
– With Louisville recruiting coordinator, associate head coach and defensive line coach Clint Hurtt facing serious punishment from the NCAA for his involvement in the Nevin Shapiro scandal at Miami, Seminole Ridge DT Kyle Shortridge said Monday his commitment to the Cardinals is firm “as long as (head coach Charlie Strong) is there.”
– NC State spoke to Dwyer DE Malik Brown, a Syracuse commit. Head coach Dave Doeren is expected to visit on Tuesday. Brown said he may take a visit to the school. The ‘Pack is working on bringing Atlantic DB Brisly Estime to its campus for a visit this weekend.
– West Virginia offered Dwyer DE Malik Brown, a Syracuse commit. He says he may visit the school.
– Purdue hosted Cardinal Newman TE Matt Burke for an official visit this weekend. “It was a pretty great place,” Burke said of the trip. He’s not sure what the next steps are, with one official visit left in his allotment.
– Illinois has backed off recruiting American Heritage’s Marcus Davis. They filled his CB spot with another player.
– USF will be in town tomorrow to visit Seminole Ridge RB Silas Spearman.
– USF offered 2014 Cardinal Newman WR Travis Rudolph.
– Boston College head coach Steve Addazio arrives on Wednesday for an in-home visit with Seminole Ridge RB Silas Spearman. Spearman visited BC this weekend but did not receive an offer, as BC wants to clear his academic qualifications with the school admissions office.
– Alabama, Florida, Florida State and Miami are among the 15-20 programs keeping up with Dwyer 2014 WR Johnnie Dixon on Facebook.
– Michigan State received a verbal pledge from Treasure Coast DB Justin Williams. Read the report.
– FIU will be in town tomorrow to check in on Suncoast DT Ke’Tyrus Marks. FIU also expects to stop by Palm Beach Gardens to visit WR Frank Brown and OL James Cruise.
– FAU recruiting coordinator Jared Allen will visit Suncoast DT Ke’Tyrus Marks on Thursday.
– Bowling Green extended a verbal scholarship offer to 2014 Dwyer WR Johnnie Dixon.
– Atlantic RB Tevin Spells will visit Tennessee State this weekend.
FRIDAY, JANUARY 18, 2013
– Miami is scheduled to host Centennial DT Jay-nard Bostwick and Atlantic DT Keith Bryant on official visits this weekend.
– Boston College will have Seminole Ridge RB Silas Spearman on campus this weekend for an official visit. The Eagles are reportedly close to offering a scholarship to Spearman, who must meet with new head coach Steve Addazio before any offer is made. BC is considered a serious favorite for Spearman’s signature if the offer comes.
– Minnesota received a verbal pledge from Seminole Ridge LB Rayfield Dixon, who chose the Gophers over West Virginia and Bowling Green. Here’s the story.
– Royal Palm Beach WR JoJo Williams committed to Grambling, which is also after OL Craig Smith. Florida A&M, Alcorn State and Stony Brook are heavily interested in Smith. More Royal Palm updates here, including a note on a possible Middle Tennessee State commit.
– UMass offered Atlantic RB Tevin Spells.
– Arkansas scheduled American Heritage ATH Marcus Davis for a visit this weekend, but he’ll travel to Fayetteville on the 25th instead. He’ll be joined by Suncoast DT Ke’Tyrus Marks. Both players have offers from Arkansas.
– USF announced the hiring of Eric Mathies as its defensive line coach under new head coach Willie Taggart. Mathies was the recruiting coordinator for Taggart at Western Kentucky, and is a significantly plugged-in recruiter in Palm Beach.
– Colorado State-Pueblo will welcome Santaluces QB Sean Steele and TE Ricco Jean-Louis onto its campus this weekend.
– Michigan State plans to have Treasure Coast DB Justin Williams in East Lansing this weekend.
– Purdue finally extended a scholarship offer to Cardinal Newman TE Matt Burke and will have him in West Lafayette, Ind., for a visit this weekend.
THURSDAY, JANUARY 17, 2013
– Stanford paid an in-school visit to Atlantic’s junior WR Adly Enoicy. Ohio State also checked in.
– South Carolina, still hunting for Atlantic DT Keith Bryant and other prospects in the area, has shown “strong interest” in Treasure Coast DB Justin Williams, T-Coast head coach Irvin Jones said.
– Cincinnati and Marshall hosted Treasure Coast DB Justin Williams over last weekend. He’s scheduled to visit Michigan State this coming weekend.
– Western Michigan visited Glades Central this week, coach Roosevelt Blackmon said.
– Florida State coaches Jimbo Fisher, Odell Haggins and Lawrence Dawsey visited Atlantic DT Keith Bryant at school today.
– Marshall visited Atlantic today. It stopped at Palm Beach Central to look at K Cameron Golob and 2014 RB Tommy McDonald.
– Miami will reportedly host Atlantic DT Keith Bryant for an official visit this weekend. Bryant has plans to see Tennessee next weekend, and is still trying to decide his last visit on Feb. 1. He tweeted late Wednesday night he was picking between LSU, Alabama and South Carolina for his last trip.
– Notre Dame stopped by Park Vista yesterday to check in on 2014 DB Marques Gayot and 2014 RB Emmanuel Smith. Irish commit Greg Bryant, of American Heritage, appeared to weigh in on the Manti Te’o controversy on Twitter.
– Florida defensive coordinator Dan Quinn will take the same job for the Seattle Seahawks. The Gators have mostly recruited offensive players in Palm Beach County lately, but the move is still significant. DJ Durkin, who turned 35 on Tuesday, replaced Quinn. Durkin was the linebackers and special teams coach for Florida for the past three seasons.
– Boston College made another visit to Seminole Ridge, keeping a close tab on RB Silas Spearman. As we reported earlier this week, the Eagles are in the driver’s seat for Spearman, who will visit the campus this weekend, and they’re expected to offer him a scholarship while he’s on campus.
– Bowling Green plans to be at Seminole Ridge today. Alcorn State and West Virginia were there yesterday. Wagner, Minnesota and Louisville came Tuesday.
– Memphis is at Santaluces today, trying to flip Hawaii-committed RB Diocemy Saint Juste. Santaluces coaches said they made it clear to the Tigers: Saint Juste is committed.
– Florida International‘s new OL coach, Luke Butkus, went to Benjamin yesterday to meet with TE commit Jon Pavlov.
– Purdue will have Cardinal Newman TE Matt Burke on campus for an official visit this weekend. The Boilermakers planned an in-school visit to the U.S. Army All-American today.
– Miami is visiting Palm Beach Central OL Kc McDermott today. Ohio State and Notre Dame stopped by earlier this week.
– Atlantic DB Brisly Estime says he’ll visit North Carolina State the weekend of Jan. 25. He expected UMass to visit today.
– Brown (Tuesday) and Dartmouth (Wednesday) were at Boca Raton this week. Both interested in OL Charles Strippoli.
– Arkansas Baptist snagged former Pahokee RB/LB Clint Everett, a 2012 grad. He’ll play FB for the junior college.
– Hobart checked in at Benjamin yesterday.
– Illinois State WR coach Dan Shula was at Jupiter today.
– Bethune-Cookman offered Olympic Heights OL Wadly Briseus and ATH Werley Placide.
– Olympic Heights DB Deago Sama plans to visit Alabama A&M. He does not have an offer.
– Georgetown was at Forest Hill talking to DB Kerolin Francois and OL Harris Hickman. The Hoyas also stopped by Palm Beach Gardens to chat with RB Jermaine Carn.
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 16, 2013
– Temple stopped by Fort Pierce Central today after school.
– West Virginia head coach Dana Holgorsen and assistant Robert Gillespie planned to have an in-home visit Wednesday night with Seminole Ridge LB Rayfield Dixon. Dixon, who is also considering Minnesota and Bowling Green, wants to make a verbal commitment by Friday. WVU also checked in at Dwyer.
– Alcorn State checked in on several prospects at Seminole Ridge, including RB Silas Spearman.
– Tennessee is now in the mix for Atlantic DT Keith Bryant. The Volunteers visited the 6-foot-2, 305-pound senior at school on Monday and have an official visit set up for Jan. 25. Bryant visited Florida State last weekend, and has plans to visit South Carolina this weekend and Miami in early February.
– Bryant said Wednesday that ESPN will show up at Atlantic High around 1:30 p.m. on signing day to film him announcing his decision between FSU, UM, Tennessee and South Carolina.
– While visiting Atlantic, Tennessee also showed interest in Atlantic DE Todney Evans, a former Western Michigan commit.
– Wisconsin, despite not having any available scholarships for tight ends, visited Cardinal Newman tight end Matt Burke at school. Burke, a U.S. Army All-American, also said Dartmouth and Princeton may visit him.
– A TCPalm report indicated Wednesday that Alabama seems to be pushing hardest for Centennial DT Jay-nard Bostwick, who will visit Miami and Florida in the coming weeks. Bostwick made an official visit to Alabama last weekend and told Centennial coach Ron Parker the experience was “more than he expected.”
– Arkansas, the area’s newest heavyweight recruiter, made rounds Wednesday, visiting Palm Beach Gardens WR Frank Brown, Suncoast DT Ke’Tyrus Marks and Dwyer. The Razorbacks have already offered scholarships to Marks and American Heritage ATH Marcus Davis, who will visit their Fayetteville, Ark. campus this weekend.
– Jacksonville is at Fort Pierce Central today. Bowling Green, UMass and Mercer were there Tuesday.
– Bowling Green, which has two verbal commitments from Seminole Ridge and is pushing for a third in LB Rayfield Dixon, is trying to flip Fort Pierce Central WR Josh Knight’s verbal pledge to Marshall. BGSU also visited Palm Beach Gardens WR Frank Brown and stopped at American Heritage.
– Think Colorado State Pueblo coaches have a good rapport with Santaluces? Eight ex-Chiefs are playing out there. Could be 10 this year if current senior QB Sean Steele and TE Ricco Jean-Louis sign with the Thunderwolves. Both will visit this weekend.
– Hawaii looks good to Santaluces RB Diocemy Saint Juste, who committed on an official visit last weekend. Saint Juste, who grew up in Haiti, told Santaluces coach Daryl Drinkwater the scenery “reminded him a little bit of home.”
– Oregon‘s Chip Kelly has been hired as coach of the Philadelphia Eagles. A stunner, but doesn’t affect any current Palm Beach County seniors.
– Village Academy junior ATH Tre’Quan Smith picked up a UMass offer, his first from an FBS school.
– North Dakota State, the defending FCS champion, is at Santaluces today. NDSU is coming hard at LB Rod Theodore.
– Memphis, Louisiana-Lafayette and Marist were expected to visit American Heritage today. Hobart was there yesterday, taking notes on a dozen Stallions players.
– FAU head coach Carl Pelini visited Port St. Lucie ATH D.J. Juste today, according to FAUOwlAccess.com.
– The Post’s Jason Lieser reports former Florida quarterback Jacoby Brissett, a Dwyer alum, will choose either North Carolina State and West Virginia for his transfer destination. Update: Brissett chooses N.C. State.
– Notre Dame was at Palm Beach Central today to check on junior OT Kc McDermott. Irish head coach Brian Kelly is expected to visit next week. The Irish also stopped by Dwyer. Cincinnati and Ohio State were at Palm Beach Central on Monday.
– Alabama stopped by Dwyer today for junior WR Johnnie Dixon.
– Marist expects Palm Beach Gardens RB Jermaine Carn to visit in February.
– Western Illinois offered Palm Beach Gardens OL James Cruise.
– Boston College has the inside track for Seminole Ridge RB Silas Spearman’s services. The Eagles have sent three assistants to Loxahatchee to visit Spearman, who will visit the Chesnut Hill, Mass., campus this weekend. Spearman will meet with new head coach Steve Addazio, who has the final say in whether BC will offer Spearman a scholarship.
– American Heritage OT Roderick Johnson, a Florida commit, will visit UF the weekend of Jan. 25.
– FIU offensive line coach Luke Butkus met with Benjamin TE and FIU commit Jon Pavlov at school on Tuesday. He also checked in on Palm Beach Gardens OL James Cruise and WR Frank Brown.
– USF and Cincinnati both visited Cardinal Newman TE Matt Burke on Tuesday.
– Purdue, which has offered Cardinal Newman TE Matt Burke, checked in on him and Gardens WR Frank Brown.
– Syracuse offensive coordinator George McDonald, just hired Tuesday away from Arkansas, told Atlantic DB Brisly Estime he’d recruit him for the Orange. Syracuse stopped by Dwyer on Wednesday.
– Minnesota paid an in-school visit to Seminole Ridge LB Rayfield Dixon on Tuesday.
– Louisville checked in on its prized DT commit Kyle Shortridge, a 6-2, 280-pound senior at Seminole Ridge.